If I Want To Check My Hearing, Where Should I Begin?

You should visit a professional Audiologist as a start. An Otolaryngologist is a physician trained in the treatment of ear (nose and throat also) diseases that have a medical origin. She/he will offer advice on whether the hearing problem that you have can be treated medically through medication or surgery. An Audiologist is trained in the measurement, diagnosis and rehabilitation of hearing loss. The audiologist will offer advice and recommendations on whether your hearing problem can be helped through the use of hearing aids (if so, which type etc) and training in communication strategies, such as lip reading. In many states a hearing aid dispenser is also able to recommend and fit hearing aids after your hearing loss is diagnosed. Any of these professionals will be able to make the right referral to the others when appropriate.